Two Questions With the Long Answers

Sunday dinner at Grandma and Grandpa's house
 
I often get asked the questions, "How are you liking being a stay-at-home-mom?" and "Do you ever miss your job?"  Automatically I always answer the first, "I love it." and the second, "No."  And those are the quick, easy (and honest) answers.
The swing finally worked!  She took a 45 minute nap!
 
It's been a little over three months since I began my new lifestyle. 
It's fun. It's hard. It's rewarding.
 And it is where I want and need to be right now-no doubt in my mind, ever. 
 Some days (these are in the minority still...and may always be?) flow easy and I make the right guesses of what Baby Welder wants.  These days I feel on top of the world-like an awesome mom that kind of has a clue-like I am actually getting the hang of it.
  Other days have speed bumps every hour and it's hard to not feel like a failure. Like when Baby Welder is screaming at the top of her lungs and I have tried every trick that has ever worked along with new tricks that do not work either.  Yes, sometimes in those moments I think to myself that she would be better with someone who has a clue what they are doing, even though deep down I know that isn't true.  She just needs me to figure it out.
We had a reason to celebrate this week.  And we did.  We'll share the news at some point.


I worry, as I imagine all mothers do.
"Why does she want to eat every 1-2 hours today? Am I doing something wrong?  The book says at this age she should eat about 5 times a day.  She's already eaten 5 times, and it's only 10:00 am!  Am I setting her eating habits for an obese future (ha-I know I am silly and probably need to stop reading so much.)  What is this crust in her ear?  Why does the skin around her eyebrows look yellow?  She feels a little warm. I wonder if she has fever. I wonder if this ear thermometer is accurate for babies her age. Does she have a milk allergy? Will she ever get to enjoy an ice cream cone?  It looks like her hair is falling out.  I wonder if I used the cradle cap shampoo too long.  She always wants to look one way.  Is this going to make her head forever flat on one side?"  (I don't recall ever thinking, "That man has a flat left side of the face.  He must have always slept and looked one way as a baby...)
I love her so much (as all mothers love their children.)
Being a father comes naturally to Mr. Welder.
He's good.
And I am blessed to have him as a partner in parenthood and a partner in life.
I would miss our visitors if at work during the day.


She changes so much everyday.
And I feel blessed to be close by as a witness.
Daisy tried the "act like there is not a cow on the porch" method to get him to leave.
 

I did have a great job.
Like every job, it had its moments.
It was a hard decision and scary to give it up along with the added financial stability it provided.
I still have the meetings I would be attending if still employed marked on my calendar.
I wonder how the meetings go.
I do miss the people I worked with.
And one day when Baby Welder cried most of  the day (I was definitely losing the guessing game that day), I actually yearned to have that, what seemed like long, boring (QUIET) drive home.
Something I probably never appreciated but should have...just like that crying baby.

The next time the cow came to visit the back patio, Daisy barked to let him know that was enough.  So he decided to rest in the shade.


Let me take the time to say, we all have to do what is right and best for our families.
I do not think I am better than someone that works nor am I bragging about staying home.
I know that staying home is not right for every mom...or dad.
I understand the guilt some working moms may feel.
I feel the guilt of not contributing as much financially as I used to.
We all do what works for our families.
And this looks different in each family.
For us, it often looks like a daddy driving, a mommy holding a baby and petting a dog sitting in the middle, and a cat riding on the hood of a golf cart making laps around the yard hoping baby will fall asleep.  Sometimes this works except when it doesn't ;)  But no matter the outcome~I love it.
We all love and provide for our families in the way that fits.

Mainly now I look at parents in general differently.
I understand more.
I notice more.
I see the love more clearly.

I know these baby days fly by.
Everyone tells you that.
And I can already feel it.
Grandma and Lily watching their favorite show, The Voice.


Everyday I pray (ok, most days unless I get sidetracked) to enjoy and cherish the day.
For wisdom (or lucky guesses) in giving Lily what she needs.
In thanks for all we've been blessed.
I pray for the same for you all too, our friends, family, and blog readers.
(I actually heard the sermon this Sunday-Lily decided to cry and eat after it was over-and it was about praying for others, something I aim to be better at.)
She's getting pretty serious about rolling over.
 
Enough rambling from me.
Time to go hang out with my gal.
Enjoy your day and your many blessings.

Comments

Popular Posts