Those Winter Days that Help Me Survive...

Unfortunately today does not look anything like it did a couple weeks ago outside.  I am anxious for warmer weather.  I am struggling today.  I am getting some work accomplished but just not feeling it.  I have so many creative projects I want/need to work on, but I am frozen, grumpy and just keep looking at the fire in our wood burning stove, checking to make sure the damp logs are still trying to burn.  A cold day with damp logs (and not even many of those left on the wood rack) makes for an even colder day...
 When I first decided to write this post, I thought it would be cheerful and upbeat.  And though this is the beginning of the post and I believe it will end better than it started, I just couldn't start out sunny.  That would be a lie.  I am not sunny today.
 Lately, there have been posts, reports and people talking about the negative effects of social media on mental health.  Feeling inadequate and comparing our lives to others.
 The truth is no matter how glorious anyone's life looks on social media, they are just people.  People traveling this thing called life aiming to have more sunny than gloomy days.  And maybe-most of the time-documenting the sunny days and leaving out the dark ones.
 When I started this blog years ago, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter were not around.  Things were simpler and we weren't constantly on our phones checking to see what everyone else was doing.  I really enjoyed blogging and mainly wrote and posted pics of the house we were building.  I love documenting things in life because it is fun to go back and look at how things were.  My memory isn't getting any clearer and so much of life is so good.  I don't want to forget things like that little face.
 Or the bags of babies that came on boat rides with us.  
 Or the sweet voice reading new books. (Thank goodness for easy ways to video!)
 Blogging and social media can be lots of things.  Like so many said and countered the negative comments, we can use it lift up and support others.  We can encourage one another.  You can definitely find tons of inspiration and ideas scrolling your feed.  It's so easy to get lost in it all. 
But for me, when I've taken the time to do it, blogging has been my way to stop, reflect and be grateful.

 Some people journal at the end of the day.  Some write down at least one good thing from the day each and every day. Prayer is another way to accomplish this.

 There are lots of ways, but the combination of  putting my thoughts in words on the screen with photos, has been my favorite most rewarding way to put things into perspective and to keep me grateful.
 Blogging makes me happy.  I do it for me-for my mental well-being.  I don't do it to brag or show off or even to inspire.  Of course, if  I do happen to inspire or encourage someone, that is great and that does make me happy.  But the main reason I want to blog is for me.   I want to be a grateful person and this helps me be more that way.   
 Blogging and reflecting on the life I have gives me a more positive outlook.  It helps me focus and notice the good even on cold, gross days with wet firewood.
 As a mom, blogging also makes me happy to document things for Lily to look back at one day as well.  Honestly, I thought I would have way more documented here by now but other great things in life got in the way.  Thank goodness my mom is a crazy scrapbooker and Lily's life and all those great things are well documented in other places.  I am thankful for all the compiling of pics and memories she has done for us during these busy years of our lives.
 I already feel way better about this day.  Blogging is so therapeutic!
 I want to end this post with some of the thoughts I had a few days ago when I first thought of putting this one together.  I just could not get going until I got the grumpies off my chest!  Sometimes just talking about being grumpy helps get over it.  But let that be my idea because if Jason points out I am grumpy, I only get grumpier. LOL. 
 A couple weeks ago, Lily got out of school at lunch so we headed to the river to enjoy one of those rare, beautiful winter days that actually happened on a day we were able to take full advantage.  It was perfect and so good for the soul.
 Jason was dying to fish and Lily was dying to explore and climb and I was dying to soak up some sunshine.  It felt sooo good.
 Thanks to my little partner, I only read one page in my book, but the adventures we had made me sure, the book could wait.
 Life isn't always perfect and fun.  
But some days are.
 Though we climbed some steep places, we were extra safe in our life jacket.  Ha!
Guess if she ended up rolling into the water, at least we had that covered!
 My little girl is such a joy and I am so glad she encouraged me to get off my fanny and discover more of the world with her.  It was so much fun and I am truly grateful for her personality and attitude to take on the world and all it has to offer...and for wanting to drag her old momma along.
 Jason dropped us off at the playground while he continued to fish a little more.
 I am also grateful to live in our city. 
 Great landscapes, bodies of water, parks, and natural beauty.
 I am still yearning for warmer days, but my heart and mind feel better.
Thanks for bearing with me on my whiny day!
And my fire even got going!
I think I'll make it to spring.
God bless your day!

Comments

Popular Posts