It Runs in the Family

I have always wanted to sell stuff.

During the summer I would beg my mom to let us sell Kool-Aid at the end of our driveway.  We did once and had one truck with 2 men stop out on our country road.

Another time, I had a trailer of garage sale items my mom would pull down to the end of our road occasionally.  I had a few more than two customers visit my trailer of goods.  Most of the people were stopping to ask for directions to the Branch Davidian Compound...but if they bought something, I did not care why they stopped!

In grade school, I got in trouble for trying to sell friendship bracelets out of a Caboodle during recess.

Then I had my art room in my dad’s old boat shed, where I crafted and priced my items daily.  I will never forget my confirmation day when we had family over for lunch afterwards and my aunts visited my shop and bought items for their homes.  It was awesome and my best endeavor yet.  I even branched out and offered special orders.

It's always been in me to sell!
On most days, I see my husband in my little girl more times than not.  She is his girl-version-mini-me.


So when I spy a glimpse of myself in her on those rare occasions, I can't help but get extra excited.

Over Spring Break this year, she wanted friends to come over, play, and stay the night so we did that at the beginning of the week and when the end of the week came, it was time to do some work at the shops.  During a fishing outing the night prior (you know Jason had to have his Spring Break fun too), she decided that she would make some of her rubber band bracelets to sell in her shop.

When we got home, she got to work crafting the bracelets.  We decided we needed to price them so I helped her print special tags.  She made it real clear she did not want them to say Bee Angels like her mom’s tags said.  We posted a quick video to Instagram informing the world of her plan, bagged and priced her goodies when her next question took me by surprise.  “Mom, where am I going to set up my table?”  I explained that we would fix the bracelets real cute on a table that was already in her shop and we would leave them out to sell.  “No, mom, I need a table to work at and make bracelets while we are there.” It was time to get to bed so we would be ready to wake up and work and so I told her we would figure it out in the morning.


The next day we got to Spice and she did a quick clean up her shop, Lily’s Toy Box.

Next, she headed to the sitting area, set up a table, and got to work making bracelets.  All on her own.  It really was the cutest thing I have ever seen.  I decided she needed a sign and asked permission to add one.  She made her first few sales to workers and other tenants and was beaming from ear to ear.



I continued to work in the shops when she ran over with a proud smile on her face with the news that she completed her first-all by herself-to someone she did not know-sale. 

The day continued, included special orders and was a success.  I was a super proud mom and I guess her dad was proud too since he was easily talked into covering the extra funds on this claw machine to celebrate the good day.


And I guess it's also safe to say that crafting and selling definitely runs in the family.

A special thanks to all those who supported and support our little girl's dreams (and ours while I am at it.)  It truly means more to us than we can express.





Comments

Popular Posts