We Have a Kindergartener!


 Instead of getting all weepy and mushy (yes, that is how my heart is feeling), I decided to focus on a recording a few notes about your first day and those leading to it.  We had Meet-the-Teacher on Sunday.  You cried about your Hatchimals on the way to the school-about leaving them at home...only to find them right before we got to school sitting in the seat beside you.  You were shy as we walked in.  I saw a smile when you saw Granny in your classroom. Yes, we are very blessed to have her as the teacher's aide in your room this year.  We had fun sorting through your school supplies, putting them in the appropriate places.  You chose your desk, which had a pink Tootsie Roll pop on it.  It was across from the desk that was marked with the name Tenley.  (The name of one of your friends from PDO.)
 We walked around the school.  We learned a little about 4-H.  You heard a parent talking about her daughter doing a project with her hamster.  You got excited and whispered asking me if you got to bring Chloe to school.  
We checked out the cafeteria and gym.
Your teacher gave you a coupon for a snow cone so we found the truck and you chose blue raspberry.
As we were sitting in the cafeteria while you ate it, you said, "Well, that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be." 
 We visited the library (and Trish!) before we left.  You were excited about how many cousins and friends you already knew.  On the way home, you said you wanted to go to school everyday and did not want holidays or anything like that.  I replied that holidays are a good time for a break. Very unenthusiastically you said, "Fine."
 We tried to get to bed earlier the couple days before the first day of school but failed until the night before.  We were actually in bed reading books around 8:00 and you were for sure asleep by 9:15 if not before.  Mom may have fallen asleep a little bit too.  
At 5:45 you came into our room, wanting me to come back to your room.  I did.  The alarm was set for 6:00 with a plan to wake you at 6:30, so I got up shortly after and closed your door.  It wasn't but a few minutes later you came back and asked what I was doing.  I told you that mom and dad get up early and you said it was still dark!  About that time, dad came by and asked if you wanted to watch cartoons.  You did. You had cereal for breakfast. We showered and got ready.  You were nervous saying you did not want to go to school.  You wanted to stay home.  You picked out your P.E. shoes and would not let dad help you since you were supposed to be able to put them on yourself.  I had out white, no-show socks, but you insisted on wearing your bright, striped snowman socks instead.  You told me you wanted to wear them everyday but I thought we might need another pair in the rotation in order for me to wash them.

You and dad were in his boat when I came outside to snap a few pics before heading to school. Dad did a pretty good job of making you laugh.  You were quiet on the way but did not cry, whine or say, "Don't pick me up not that long." (Your famous saying from PDO days.)  We saw Lane right when we walked in and he said, "Hi, Lily," but you were being shy. I pointed out Granny working in the cafeteria line. Mrs. Magee came to show us where the kindergarten table was and you sat on my lap with your head in my lap.  Soon, Mrs. Ehlers came and put your name tag on.  You sat up in my lap as I talked about a bunch of random stuff.  Easton sat across from you and kept smiling and waving but you did not do much replying.  You asked me were Emmy was and we found her sitting at the table right across from us.  I think that was your first smile since arriving.  
Dr. Reynolds made an announcement that when the bell rang it would be time for K-6 grade parents to give big hugs and leave.  You started crying but not too bad.  As my voice was cracking, I told you how much fun you would have and how proud I was of you and that we would be back soon.  I asked if you would like to move across the table and sit by Easton and you said yes.  About that time Granny showed up too.  I gave you a big hug and took this pic as we were headed out the door.

I love you, Lily. 
I am so proud of you and can't wait to come pick you up and hear all about your first day as a kindergartner.

I wrote you a letter for Waco Moms Blog.  When you noticed your picture on the computer that day, you asked about it so I read it to you then.  After I was finished, you gave me a big hug and told me you loved me.  Here is a link to the post:

Comments

Popular Posts