Lots of New Years Resolutions...

Friday was the start of a new year and a productive weekend at The Weld House. To start, the guys framed the triangle part of the wall at the top of the stairs.
In case this picture is confusing. The door frame at the bottom of the picture is at the top of the stairs. The window you see is the front of the house and in the office area.
Mom and I did more work on the kid's closet door...Yippee! That's me finally giving it a fresh coat of paint-or a few! I am not sure what is up with this paint but it does not cover well. I think it needs more pigment but I am no paint expert nor do I have pigment to add, so I just worked with what I had.Mom gave the cedar columns another coat of stain. I did two coats on the shutters but only one on the columns. They were beginning to look a little dried out so we thought it would be best to go ahead and give them another coat to keep them nice.
Jason and dad did more electrical work upstairs.Saturday we had a nice surprise visit from Jason's dad, mom and grandma. And yes, 90 year old grandma made it up our stairs and out on the balcony! With no problem!Grandma thought we were pulling her leg when we told her Jason built the front door. She really thought we were all in on it. When she finally believed us she went on and on about how Ma-valous it was :)Jason tried out his new planer he got for Christmas and made some old fence posts look pretty.Here is the mirror he built. It is not completely finished but it will go on the front of a medicine cabinet in the master bathroom. There will be two-one for each of us.He also built one of the cabinets. Jason is quite the woodworker and does such a good job. I am always very impressed. I really believe he can do anything he puts his mind to.
Here is a before picture of the girls' next project. After a complete makeover this vanity will go in the laundry room.
To start, we took out the drawers and cabinet doors and started to get rid of the white paint.
We used stripper and sanding. The sanding seemed to work the best. The wood was really pretty under all of that paint. Even though I had a plan to paint it, after seeing the wood, I had to consider staining it but decided to stick with my original plan for now. Since I am just going to repaint it, it probably was not necessary to get rid of the white paint, but I will probably rough it up a little to make it not look so new and this technique works better with one-two coats of the same color paint.Before leaving for Mark's 30th Birthday party, we held up the medicine cabinet to see how it looked...without the mirror :)
Sunday, mom did some demolition work. We have a white marble top for the vanity so the old tile one needed to be removed.Look at her go. Mom said she finally found something she was good at-tearing stuff up.
I started to give a few of the doors a coat of paint. It is a dark greenish to brown color-called Mountain Trail from BEHR. I think I'm gonna like it!
The guys worked on a box for the master bathtub. Daisy helped us figure it all out.
They built the front wall.
Installed it.
Used the template and cut a hole in a piece of plywood.
And then dropped the bathtub into place. A platform will be added underneath to brace it eventually.
Daisy waited for the guys to get back from an errand to my uncle's house while I did a little sanding on the laundry vanity. The list of projects for 2010 is long...but I feel like we had a great productive start!

Comments

Popular Posts