I Wish You Could Have Met Her

 Oh how I wish you could have met her.
 I know you would have loved her so.
 How I wish you were still around, just right down the road.
She fell asleep all by herself after doing her morning birdwatching. 
 
We'd come over to visit and take pictures in the garden, by the barn, and in your arms.
 You'd laugh at how many pictures I take.
 And I'd look at the wall where the photos of your kids hung.
 Now being a mother of one, I would look at you with even more awe when I think about your life with ten.
 Maybe you'd have some advice to share.
 Or probably you'd just encourage and say I'm doing an ok job.
 We'd laugh at comments Grandpa would make.
 No telling what he would say.
Sleeping while her aunt and I enjoyed lunch out. 
 
We'd have a meal.
 Talk to the cows.
 Pick the garden.
 Do a puzzle.
 Of course I've missed you.
She fell asleep all by herself while playing in her crib.
 
But having a little one makes the feeling stronger.
 You taught me so much that I wish Lily could learn from you too.
 It was a "stay-in-your-pjs" kind of day.  We watched the rain before getting ready to go visit family.
 
You were the best kind of teacher.
 The kind that taught by doing and leading by example.
 I honestly cannot remember once when you taught by telling how or what to do.
Spiderman shows his softer side. 
 
You showed how to love no matter the differences.
 You made everyone feel important and included.
 Your farmhouse always had room for one more.
 Man, how I wish you could have met her.
All tractors need drivers.
 

 Family was your number one priority.
 Eggs, anyone?
 
No, you did not tell me that.
Oh, not eggs, but a Fruit Loop necklace kit.
 
Or have a sign that said it on your wall.
 I knew that by how you lived.
 Sundays make me miss you the most.
 The farmhouse has new owners.
 But the gathering still continues.
 New members,
 New games,
 In new places.
 New food.
 "Granny Corn" is no longer on the menu.
 But it's good.
 We're blessed.
The cook in the kitchen...sorry, I couldn't resist :)
 
You started the weekly tradition.
 And we carry it on.
 We know you must stop in to visit.
 With Grandpa by your side, smiles on your faces.
Oh how I wish SHE could have met YOU...

Comments

  1. What a sweet post! I know what you mean - I think of my grandparents often, too. They're all looking down on us and I am sure they are proud, just beaming. BTW - love that little "peanut" outfit! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts