Our Little Foodie

 
I have briefly mentioned that I have been experimenting with homemade baby food.  Maybe experimenting is not the proper word to use when talking about what I feed my child?! 
By experimenting, I mean that I research online (most often I refer to this site), attempt to prepare it, and then see if Lily will eat it.
To start we made a trip to the grocery store.
I am almost embarrassed to write this, but this was my first trip to the grocery store with Lily without a helper.
We loaded up on fresh fruits and veggies.
I decided that if Lily was going to try new things like Butternut Squash, we would too.
I roasted half for her and then prepared the other half for us using a recipe I found on Pinterest.
We liked it.
When I looked at my receipt and noticed just how much that squash cost, I decided to keep the seeds to attempt to grow my own one day.
Looks good?
And Lily just loves to help in the kitchen.
 I made large batches to freeze.
Pictured: Sweet potato (I baked and steamed some but when I taste tested, the baked was a lot tastier (which I think my research said too) but when I baked the potato, it oozed out everywhere and there was a huge burnt worm looking thing in the bottom of my oven.  I even had it wrapped in foil so not sure but will probably use a pan or something next time.)
Acorn Squash-roasted
Carrots-steamed
Chicken thigh-baked
At first I was paranoid that Lily did not like my cooking.
Maybe she didn't, but she is learning to like it if she did not.
See, she is begging me to make more.
(She actually almost pulls my pants down most of the time.)

Apples
I bought organic because my research stated that apples are one of the worst foods to contain pesticides. Organic apples are pricey.  Oh and after I taste tested, the type of apple really does matter.  Red Delicious was not as delicious after being cooked but Gala was really tasty, as in, if Lily did not eat it, I would.  We also bought natural applesauce, which does not have added sugar.  We'll try that soon.
After this picture was taken I ended up putting the apples in the blender to make them a finer consistency.  Here I had just used a potato masher after boiling them in a little water.  Lily ate them once before I pureed them and seemed to like them, but the second time she seemed to be bothered by the texture.
We've also eaten pears, bananas, and avocados, which do not need to be cooked, just mashed.
She loves bananas and so do I because they are easy.
Avocados she likes but they seem thicker and harder to get down so I just give her a little and make guacamole with the rest :)
And pears are fairly easy too and she likes them.  They just take a little longer to prepare since I peel mine even though I've read that you don't have to.

I think she's ready for more of mommy's cooking!
I'd have to say that so far this endeavor has been fun and worth every dirty dish, messy kitchen, blender washing, and burnt worm in the oven. 

Comments

Popular Posts