Ooey Gluey Biscuits

Mrs. Welder had a Tuesday night date with these guys.
The 3-4 layers of paint were chipping off pretty bad in some places, so we decided to strip off at least some of the paint. I am always curious what is underneath all that paint.
I like the raw metal. I even like the look of a little paint still hanging around in the creases...the bottom layer of paint is blue though. A grayish blue, but still blue. Since the lockers are a component of the mud area we want to have inside by the kitchen door, there are a few options. Either I will get all the paint off since blue doesn't belong, or I will do a quick strip job (sexy!), which is way easier than getting all the way to the metal, and we'll paint the lockers a solid color and most likely sand the edges so it's not so perfect. We are leaning towards painting, though I will miss you, metal!
When my date finally came to an end, I went to check on Mr. Welder's progress, and he had come a long way!
And since I promised to explain the biscuit process once I figured it out, here it goes. I am sure you have been waiting in anticipation for this moment. The biscuit joiner (that was used to make the notches on the face of the first section of shelves, remember?) was used again to make notches on the boards that would be shelves in the second section.
Then glue is added to a biscuit, which is an oval piece of wood that when it gets wet, expands, so you have to work quick.
The gluey biscuit (yum!) is slide into the notch on the first section of shelves.
Then the notched board for the second section is slid onto the biscuit. And the gluey biscuit expands and makes a sturdy joint.
Then on the opposite side of the biscuit joint, screws are added to pull it all together to hold it in place. So there you have it. I hope that made at least a little bit of sense! Since biscuit joining may come up in casual conversation with someone you're trying to impress soon :)
And here it is at the end of the night. Isn't it looking great!? Two more upper shelves will be added to this section, and then there will be one more section added to the left (connected where the upright board has been routed.)

Comments

  1. Hello, I hope this isn't too strange but I stopped over from Marica's blog when she posted about visting your home and I was so, so impressed. I am Jenny Neumann, Katie Mach's Aunt, Jessica's sister. You have a great blog and I didn't know you had a booth at Spice. 6 years ago my hubby, (David) and I started building our home and what is left now?: some trim paint and SHELVES!. so I must say your husband's shelves look fantastic and I am trying hard not to be envious. As for the lockers (what a great mud room idea), I vote for paint, or metal, see I am no help, both have great potential. God bless y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not strange at all. Thanks for visiting and commenting! Good luck on your shelves. I hope you come back to visit and see that I took your vote into consideration :) Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts