Grandma & Pa Shop

Thursday night we headed over to my Granny and Grandpa's house. My Grandpa used to build houses during his working years and has a nailer he is letting us use to put up the walls inside the house.
This is probably the most we will let mom handle the nail gun...and that is probably even more than I will.Jason loads up the compressor which hooks to the nailer with a hose. I really have no clue how this thing works but that is my basic understanding until I see it in motion.I decided to go "shopping" in the barns around my grandparents' place. You may remember an earlier trip...this door is one item I knew I would come back and rescue.

Speaking of doors...after our planning session Wednesday night, I had a list of rough sizes of doors I needed-wow, a list of things I actually knew I needed. The other doors we have, we bought at Restore (and picked up one at a garage sale) a while back, way before we had much of a plan in place, and surprisingly, they all have a possible place to live. Normally when I go to Restore, I just wander around aimlessly-boy we must be making progress if I actually had a list. But to my disappointment (I still LOVE the Restore though), I did not find a single item on my list. I felt so prepared and on a mission...so after trying a few more places and finding a few things that were OK, we decided to just wait until we find what we really want.

So, while I have your attention-do your parents or grandparents or you have any old timey doors just laying around in the way? Or any other old cool building material/decoration for that matter? Email me akubitza@aol.com or post a comment if you think you might have something we could take off your hands. (I think I changed a setting to make it easier to post comments too-go ahead, try it out, and see if I actually did something technical...really I just checked a box to allow all comments.) And even if your item does not work for us, then I encourage you to donate it (tax deductible) to the Restore. I don't know why...but I just like old and crusty (those news doors we looked at, just did not do it for me!) We would be honored to make a part of your history, part of our home. I am not going to lie, we love FREE STUFF (if it's free, it's for me) but bargains also make us giddy too, and we are willing to deal. (Is it just me or does the price tag make some things cuter?!) Thanks to those who have already given! We really appreciate it.
Now that I just said I like old and crusty...I even have my limits! I found this worn out paintbrush and felt so proud that it was worse than some that Jason has scolded me for using and trying to keep :) Guess that must mean-THAT runs in MY family. O well, Grandpa was a good sport and let me snap a picture. It looks like he is trying to make a tough sell. Aren't grandpas (with bad paintbrushes) the cutest?I did a little more treasure hunting and found these goodies. Actually you could say, I did some action hero stuff and saved their lives. Grandpa has this hobby of cutting up things of this sort into tiny pieces and taking them to the scrap yard. When he saw me carrying this up the drive, he said, "I just cut up one similar to that today." I will always have a special bond with these baskets...knowing I saved their lives and all.
Before we left my favorite Ma & Pa Shop (they really do have the best finds and prices!), Grandpa gave Jason a short lesson on the nailer. I can't wait to see this thing in action.

Comments

Popular Posts