A-Door-Able

Sunday while I finished staining all the front shutters, Jason trimmed around the perimeter of the wood in the front door. He went by the Restore's half off sale and got a bargain on this nice wood trim, that he thinks looks like oak. I just become more and more impressed by my hubby's wood working skills everyday!
Before staining the door, I did a few tests on scraps.
Jason used the torch to give the wood a rustic look.
Then I stained it.
While I stained, Jason worked on the door knob for the back door. He attempted this last week but the lock would not work properly. Go figure...it was my fault. When I stained the door, I got some stain on the wrong place, which glued it together! Glad Jason can fix my messes.
Then, Jason started sanding the balcony railing to be painted.We decided since it was getting late, we would put the door handle on the front door instead of starting on painting the balcony...
If only we would have known the trouble that was lurking. While Jason was using the red tool pictured above, the tip came out and fell inside the door frame.
We rigged up a few tools and tried to fish it out with a magnet. (Jason can't complain that he has not been able to fish in a while!) So he caught about as much as he does when we go normal fishing-ha! Sorry couldn't resist. We ended up taking this big, heavy door off the hinges and turning it upside down. It was very scary-I had mental images of Jason being squashed like a pancake. This picture is kind of hard to tell, (I could not step back to get a good aim since I was holding the door from falling and smashing Jason) but after we turned it upside down, we laid it on its side and were then able to use the magnet to fish it out!
Now, back to it. Jason made the hole for the lock larger so it would fit.
And here we have it. I think it turned out great...kind of. It is really pretty but Jason and I both agree that with the rest of the house, the wood has too much of a yellow tint.
The inside
Monday night, Jason sanded off the stain. We bought more stain and are experimenting to get a browner look. After we get it stained the color we like, we will add the big, decorative nails I spray painted black a few weekends ago. And then the front door project will actually be complete!

Comments

Popular Posts