Bittersweetness

After jump starting a dead battery, removing a stubborn backhoe hose, picking up some night crawlers just in case, showing off a trailer for sale, walking through the tall weeds to fish, running to town to get a new hose, replacing it, and eating lunch, it was time to visit the A-frame one last time.
While mom and dad went to town to get the new hose, Jason sprinted off to the lake. Good thing he thought of getting some worms!
After one bite and two hang-ups, it was time to make the long trek through the chiggers to have lunch.
Then it was finally time to get to work. Jason detached the electric wire.
While I saved a chair.
Then it was time for the demolition to begin.
Jason, mom, and I watched on with mixed emotions.
Good thing the backhoe is loud and dad could not hear my "oh my gosh" gasps.
After the front was torn loose,
The side was next.
Easy does it.
Kind of reminded me of the Wicked Witch of the West. "I'm shrinking!"

One last smash.
Until the house was flat enough to stand upon.
First thing that caught my eye was a prize. Jason scolded me for acting like Daisy...and I listened about as good as she does.
Vintage towels! Not sure how I missed these before. They must have been way back in the scary cabinets/mouse huts.
Now it was time to remove all the shingles!
Moving right along.
Almost there
I was happy the rescued chair would become so handy so soon.
After the shingles were removed, it was time to detach the boards. Glad mom was quick got this picture of me helping before I quit :)
The guys kept removing boards,
while I (and mom) decided to change jobs and remove the nails so the wood would stack nice and neatly.
I think it took us as long to get started as it did to complete the job.
We finished with one side of the roof in about four hours.
Then a little more snooping took place.
And here is our current supply. We will see how it works and how far it goes before deciding what to do with the other side. We hope to use it on the upstairs wall that you can see when looking up from the living room. We will have to do some testing to decide if we will plane it, pressure wash it, leave it bare, paint, or stain it. I just pray that it works somehow! It would be an honor to have my great grandpa's house live on in ours.

Comments

Popular Posts