Adding a Little Character to the Sink

Thursday the Welders decided to take a break from trimming and did some cleaning. The OSB board that we ended up not using was loaded on the trailer. Hopefully we can return it. I can't say I will miss having this in the middle of the den.
And since the plywood was our tool table, we moved everything here.
Then we used up another stack of thicker plywood for the countertops. This will be covered with a galvanized or stainless steel tops.
Perfect fit. I knew you were wondering if we were having a really deep corner cabinet :) Not because your ditzy but because we are always doing something strange.
After setting in the farmhouse sink, we realized the front of the plywood needed a couple of small notches.
And here is where I wish this post could end. The sink still did not fit. We were being so careful (I mean, I evened used my legs to lift), trying to figure out what was keeping it from going into place. We just knew it was something we were doing wrong since we even hauled the big ol' sink to the cabinet shop to make sure it would be the perfect fit. So we were looking and adjusting when a cracking noise occurred. It was the front board you can see in the picture above.
And then, Poop-poop-ee-do-pee-dup! The corner of the sink hit the plywood and cracked. It barely hit so then we were worried that this sink is not too sturdy but after checking it out, really this is the only thinner part, all the rest is way thicker, and normally it is lying flat against the countertop and this would not happen. So Mr. Welder is meeting the cabinet man (and taking some super glue) on Friday to see what can be done to the cabinet so the sink will fit. The cracked piece of sink fits almost perfectly back in place-it has a tiny place along the crack that is missing the shiny coating. I don't think it will be noticeable to anyone except me and you blog readers since I tell you all of our secrets. The other option would be to buy another sink. We bought it at Ikea maybe 6 months ago. I am not sure if they still sell this style. Spending another $320 does not sound fun and neither does the 3 hours in the truck to go get it...what would you do?
And one more question, how come when I wake up in the middle of the night and have visions of going by my shop, Bee Angels, and my entire stock of soaps sold, it is just a dream, but when I wake up and see visions of a cracked sink, it is real?
All we can do is laugh and learn. This morning's news helped put this minor incident into perspective when pictures flashed of burning homes in California. I will take my cracked sink and be happy this dose of badness was just that and not an accident with the saw (thank you Jesus that we still have all of our fingers) or crazy Daisy chasing a rabbit across the street into traffic (we love that girl), or my mom not being able to get up after rolling all over the floor to stain the cabinets (we love that girl (and dad) too!) or so many worse things that could have gone wrong. It will be fixed like always and maybe it was meant to be since we seem to love imperfect, old items with character :) Heck, it matches the rest of the house better now.

Comments

Popular Posts