Breezy and Bright

Friday evening the Weld House Team had dinner and did some shopping, which has nothing to do with this picture except that we shopped for lights and fans and the chandelier pictured above is a light. Months ago my granny decided that she wanted to find out what heirlooms her kids and grandchildren wanted after she and grandpa passed away and get it down in writing to make the difficult time somewhat smoother. My mom asked me if there was anything that I could think of. While playing games at the dining table during our last visit I was surprised that I never noticed how pretty the chandelier was. (When you are building a house, you notice things that you would never give a second thought to before.) Since that was fresh on my mind, I laughed and said the chandelier in the dining room thinking that is not the kind of heirloom my granny had in mind. You know, maybe something like the coffee table, organ, or bible. (Though my cousin did request their bar, which is also attached to the house...) During a conversation with my granny later, mom laughed and told her my request, and granny said sure, she can have it now, I would rather have a ceiling fan in there. So we bought a fan and my dad took down the chandelier and installed the fan, and now I have a very special light for my office.

Saturday morning while Jason worked at his real job, dad worked on the light for above the kitchen sink. Sometimes my $5 bargains require a tad more labor than a new light that comes in a box with all the parts. Good thing my dad is who he is or I would be taking a lot of things back to Restore saying, "Nevermind." Click here to see the before and after.
Here are the Friday night purchases, complete with all the parts!
Saturday afternoon we got to work. Dad installed the kitchen sink light, and I started polishing the cabinets.
Mom washed Granny's chandelier and made the crystal sparkle again.

I installed the cabinet shelves.

Mom and dad installed the fan in one of the extra bedrooms.

Jason worked on trim upstairs.

I polished and installed the drawers and doors. Mom installed the hardware. Well, on the doors at least. The screws for the drawer hardware were not long enough. Boo, I wanted to see how it would look.

Trimming the upstairs hut.

I did get to install the drawer hardware on the island since the fronts were not as thick on these. After these were installed, I counted the pulls and was one short. I saw the pencil scribbled note on the island (part that will be covered up) and knew we counted correctly. So I looked all over the place and finally decided I must have accidentally thrown one away or took back the tester one we bought when we were deciding what we wanted. It drives me crazy when I do stuff like this.

Here is how the kitchen looked at the end of the day.

Another view.

The finished kid's fan.

The finished master bedroom fan. This is an early anniversary present from mom and dad. This fan caught my eye on our Tuesday night Lowe's visit. Originally I wanted something silver with light colored blades and preferably one globe. Actually similar to the one in the kid's bedroom above. When we were shopping Friday night mom fell in love with this fan, and I did still like it though it wasn't what I originally had in mind and the price tag was a tad heftier than I was hoping. Mom told me if I liked it to put it in the basket and that she would buy it for our anniversary. So I did, and seeing it in there now, it really was the only choice. It is perfect for the room and my original plan would have looked like poo.

The pantry light.

I had my eye on a vintage light at Restore for a while. The day I jumped in my car and decided I was going to go get it, I arrived to discover it was gone after all that time. This is a new light from Lowe's but it is similar and had "vintage" in the description, so it will do. You snooze you lose.

Trim on the hut. The inside of the doors were also trimmed, but you will see those next time. I forgot to take a picture.

Mom and my last project for the evening was to clean up some of this wood that was in one of the barns we tore down. I thought I should move it to the garage loft before Jason went on a cleaning rampage and threw any of it in the burn pile. It is mostly smaller pieces that Mr. Welder will use to build me some frames :) I think he grew suspicious when I stopped questioning every time he bought another wood working tool...yes, I had ulterior motives and visions of projects dancing in my head. We did not get to finish cleaning up since it was getting dark, and mom lifted a piece to see a friendly snake looking right at her. It was a good snake (if there is such a thing) so Jason let it hang out under the table until Mr. Snake eventually decided to plop down about a foot away from my foot and slithered away to the other stack of wood.

Comments

Popular Posts