Room to Work

Friday, Mr. Welder and Mr. Cabinet fixed the kitchen problem. The board that was on the wall under the window and is in the picture to the right of the sink had to be removed and sheetrock had to be cut out, but now the sink fits.
The broken piece was glued back on and since it was on the back of the sink and the sink ended up sliding back into the wall which will eventually also have a back splash on top of that, at this point, we've decided to eliminate "drive to Ikea, spend $320" from the to-do list. It really is hardly noticeable.
Saturday the guys started by building frames for the two gym closet doors.
And installed them.
After staining the bottom side of the upper cabinets (in case we have short visitors or someone wants to take a nap on our counter)-ugh, neck breaking, the Welding Wife got to work on the island, which needed a good cleaning.
Mom and I worked on staining the island and its door and drawers, which will be painted. Why did we waste time staining if it will be painted, you ask. This was a tip we received when talking about distressing this piece. After you paint and then sand, this will make this sanded areas dark opposed to unfinished. We still do not have the entire island plan in place. Originally we thought to paint it white, now we are leaning towards black. We also have a whitish piece of Corian for the top. We originally planned to have a lower eating area on the side you can see in the picture below, but now are discussing having the top come out at the same height for the eating area. If we do that, the Corian is not wide enough. One thing I do know, is that I want to use the old columns I bought at Canton (over a year ago) for legs no matter what color and height the eating area ends up. I think this will give some character to the somewhat boxy front. I guess chairs will do that too.
I hope we can get our plan in place since I am anxious to start the painting and sanding!
And get the rest of these neck-breaking projects off the list!
Waiting patiently. Ready for the plan.
The Highway Patrol door just was not going to work for the HVAC closet in the gym, so the guys built another barn door to match the closet doors. It was not installed because we did not have the hinges.
So they moved on to the next project and trimmed the stairwell door.
Daisy played in the swampy puddle for a large part of the day but here she is taking a break in the mud.
The girls did some cleaning for the rest of the day. The leftover barn tin was cleaned.
This picture cracks me up. Chicken arms and vein in my neck about to bust. All I can do is laugh about my "wimpiness". I did finally make it to the burn pile with this load of scraps.
I vacuumed the garage loft. I had a cold this weekend so could not smell, but normally this room stinks. I guess since it has no ventilation except for the attic door, the insulation has not been able to air out. I was probably up there for an hour cleaning-mostly sweating. When I came down it felt like the A/C was running in the garage (no, we do not even have an A/C in there) and I took off my glasses since they were so dirty I could hardly see. When I took them off, I realized it was my eyes that were dirty. I have no idea what made this happen-fumes from the insulation? But my dad said he had the same thing happen to him when he installed the lights in there. I am sure this was good for me and my eyes are back to normal but I am kind of leery to hang out up there now.
Mom passed me the clean tin.
Nice and neat and out of the way.I also labeled the paint cans. Either the heat or the weird factor up there makes the Home Depot label disappear which makes it a challenge to locate the right paint for touch ups. This big storage area is going to be so handy. I plan to start stowing (leave it and run from the fumes) more items/scraps up here that are not needed to finish the house but can be saved for future projects. I should have started this sooner (though maybe we are just now getting to the point where some things are even finished) since tripping over stuff can be a little frustrating and our yard has not been the most attractive. I think I will ask Mr. Welder to sign a contract to form a partnership in keeping this area organized without stuff thrown here and there. If it works it could eliminate a lot of nagging.
The guys worked on trimming the upstairs windows.
And here are some pictures of the finished trim work.
Window. I love love love how these turned out.
The stair/game room door.
The office door and window.
The other side of the window in the office that looks down the stairwell.
And the other side of the stairwell/game room door.
And since the girls made cleaning look like so much fun, the guys loaded up the leftover sheetrock and a pocket door which I hope we can donate to Restore on top of the plywood that I hope we can return to the lumber yard. Slowly but surely inching our path to lying down the wood floors!

Comments

Popular Posts