Culler, One Who Culls

Instead of skipping their Wednesday night volunteer commitment, the Welders actually went to pitch in for a change. But then back to flooring it was. If I am thinking right, these few runs are the longest. They start in the gym and travel down the hall.
The hall that leads to the trap door, which will be secured-don't worry.
So what does a cleaner/"culler" actually do? Since that is my job, I will hurry and tell you. The guys are getting so fast at nailing it down that I can hardly keep up. (Mom, come back!) Since we are using old, crusty flooring that has been in a dusty wood shop for almost a year, first I clean along the edges where the pieces slide together. Old stain, caulk, and dirt sometimes fills the crease which will not allow it to sit flush.
Sometimes the crust falls out with an easy scrape, and sometimes it's more stubborn. Next, I use a brush to knock off the loose crust and dust.
If a board is too bad-has way too many staples to pull or is split (like the one on the left), I cull it, which is just a fancy way to say put it to the side. This stack of culled pieces used to be bigger. At first I thought we may try to leave the floor looking old-leave it as is. But after further discussions we are going to have it refinished. This means I no longer try to scrape off the paint, etc. (You may have noticed the colors getting crazier than they were at first.) So this definitely sped up my process and made the painted pieces of wood not so annoying.
After I get a stack about like this, I try to make it up the stairs without dropping them.
Then dad measures and gets pieces for the next run grouped.
Then he lines them up for Mr. Welder who nails them in place.
And this is the end result on Wednesday.
Already to the HVAC closet.
And this picture inside the gym is my favorite since it looks like we've come a long way...because we have!

Comments

Popular Posts