The Devil Made Me Do It

Saturday while Jason was at his real job, mom kept dad busy with a Weld House project. I bought this fan at Restore during a half off sale. It's an old one and for some reason it only turned backwards to make the air blow up. Oh, I think dad said in the old days they did this to lift the hot air in the common, high ceiling rooms. Yep, that just proves it's an old jewel.
There is some fancy wording to explain what was switched, but I'll leave that explaining to mom.
After lunch, mom went to an out of town wedding and the guys and I got to work. They worked on one of the unfinished walls in the game room. After getting prices on sheetrock (and siding) and thinking about all the mess that comes along with it, when Jason noticed a good deal on some slightly damaged galvanized tin sheets, we decided that option looked like a winner.
A few scrap boards were added to give the tin a place to attach.
And then the guys were on a roll.
I gave the garage/kitchen door another coat of paint and then decided to experiment with a stain wash. I'm sure I've read about this somewhere, but really just made it up as I went along since I had no reference materials available. Basically I was lacking a project (or so I thought since this is never truly the case) so I entertained myself. Then the devil was in me and I did something I knew I shouldn't...I stained the pink cedar boards before they were ready. I couldn't decide if the door was too funky or if it was the pink boards throwing it off. So after a day or two to think about it, the door will stay (with a fine grit sanding to dull down the shine) but I'll be sanding off the splotchy stain (ugh-especially the top board...I even used the pre-stain conditioner to avoid this!) to allow the cedar to do its thing. I know a test is necessary before just going for it on the real thing. Sorry, I don't know what got into me.
In the meantime, the guys were finishing up. They got it just right the first time too on the piece where they had to cut out for the A/C duct. They are so good.
Trimming along the door opening.
And another wall finished!

Comments

Popular Posts