Promotion

Tuesday the Welders picked up the wood flooring they purchased on the fourth of July. This trailer load was about half, so they will go back to get the rest shortly.
Then two helpers arrived. Thank goodness the helper we asked brought along another helper. Here they are deciding the best way to get the wood stove to the hearth.
It made my muscles ache just watching them.
So glad to have it in place. We did not have the right size wrench with us to put the legs on so will do that another day. Thanks for the help, guys.
During the day, the Welding Wife tried to come up with a project that she could work on. Still needing a door for the closet under the stairs, she drew up a sketch and did a quick study on building a barn door. She tried to keep it simple (and being about a fourth the size that should definitely help matters) but knew it would be somewhat challenging since she'd never built a door before. When the Welder walked in the wood shop to discover his wife using the saw alone, he was not too pleased. After a few words, Welder: "We are going to just get the $80 door at Home Depot that matches the others in the hall." Welding Wife: "But I don't want this door to match. I want it to be different and I can build this. I have a plan." Measuring boards and cutting off square ends all the while to show she meant business, the Welder realized this was a battle he wasn't going to win, so decided to join the forces. Though the Welding Wife really wanted to be ambitious and build this door alone (she had pictures in her head all day of the Welder walking around the corner, gasping with surprise of what his wife did all by herself), she knew it really was not a one person job. Only under one condition would she allow the guys to help, she got to be the boss of this project. So after the plan was discussed, boards were cut, joined, planed, and laid out.
The boss did the honors of nailing it together.
The boss supervised the hinge/door frame installation.
As well as the shimming process.
Thanks Welder and dad for helping me with this project. I love how it turned out and can't wait to trim it. And even though it really was not the reason of my persistence, I also loved saving the moo-lah. Five boards we already had plus two scrap boards plus hinges left over from another project=cheap and way cuter than the $80 one. And since I have not said plus enough...plus it really did not take any longer than driving to Home Depot. Good thing we live in the boonies. And to end with my favorite part, the comments that ended the evening. Welder: "Honey, I like your door." And I like you...especially when I get my way. hehe.

Comments

Popular Posts