Lathing in the Breeze

Saturday we gave dad the day off to hang out with his buddies at the deer lease. With the main boss gone, mom and I decided to do a little decorating. I went to a garage sale Friday and scored two sets of Pottery Barn curtains. I figured if they did not work for any of the windows, I could use the cloth for pillows or something along those lines. These shorter curtains were marked $5 but the lady let me have them for $2! And these longer ones were marked $10 but she let me have them for $5 and also threw in my 50 cent picture frame (that has plans for a makeover) in for free! I love a bargain!
While us girls were playing, Jason was back to work on the air compressor and this time it is ready to go!
After sniffing around trying to decide if we smelled something dead and straining our ears to listen to a noise that only I can hear (makes me feel crazy), I vacuumed the master bath ceiling. That is when the smell got stronger. It was coming from the shop vac. So we took it outside and I let mom take off the lid, the hose...and then I decided to be brave and removed one of the long attachment pieces and EEEEK! Out fell a dead mouse. Heart pounding, mystery solved.
Next we trimmed the ceiling in the office. We actually spent most of our day in the office, which was perfect timing. The weather was so nice and the breeze felt wonderful coming through the window all day. The only time we had to shut it was for less than five minutes when a harder rain came. Through the window was the easiest (and maybe only) way to get the trim in the room.
After getting the angles figured and cut, the next job was trying to get the trim in place. Covered walls definitely provide a new challenge. It just looked like it should fit but no matter how we maneuvered it, it just would not go and it was really not even close.
Jason even tried putting it in the duct work to see if that would help.
My estimate is that 30 minutes later it was still in one piece and in place. With mom's help, we were able to bow the piece and slightly bend the end. Then it was time to pop rivet it in place with a tool that needs replacing. Some days are not the smoothest.
Since the stair box is closer to the opposite side of the ceiling, we decided it was basically impossible to keep its trim in one piece, so we spliced this piece...too bad we miscut, which resulted in the piece being too short with the correct cut. Ha! You know you've been doing this a while when this kind of thing no longer phases you. When a little mishap like this would happen in the beginning, I would freak out like that was the last piece of trim on the Earth. You have to expect a mistake like this every once in a while. So though it is frustrating to not finish the project right then and there like you wanted, you go on and forget about it until making the material list for next time. So we still have a small section to complete but we went ahead and put up the center piece of trim...mainly because we could not move it out of the room without going back out the window. We used metal lathe screws in the matching gray color, which worked way nicer than the pop rivets.
Mom laid out all the A-frame wood to be washed.
And Uncle Pete and In-Law Johnnie came and completed more electrical work. Thanks guys!
I am not sure what to call what they did exactly, but I know they pulled a bunch of wires or a big fat wire from the outside to the inside box. It took a lot of strength. They should have just asked me to do it. Sometimes men just do things the hard way :)
Next, we worked on getting the front office wall ready for rock.
More tricky maneuvering to get in the room. At least we were just using scraps since it will all be covered, so it was not as critical.
So we covered the wall with scrap sheet metal and then with metal lathe. At this point, Jason was being a little protective saying, "you can really cut yourself with those nippers." I was just cutting off a small corner!
So while he was not looking, I used the nippers some more and cut the lathe around the electrical boxes.
I must have proven I know how to nip because next thing you know I was using the power drill nippers to cut the angle on the lathe. First with supervision...
And then all by myself! (Well, mom helped hold stuff in place.)
I like to think because of my diligent tool handling skills (along with my two helpers), we finished the wall and got it ready for rock in no time. (Don't mind my sheet rock booty-I can't wait to have all that cleaned up!)
We plan to use the fake rock that has been sitting in boxes in our backyard for over a year and a half. The fake rock day is finally getting near.

Comments

Popular Posts